Where I am, Where I Want to Go!

 I have decided for my inquiry blogs topic I will be looking at Hurricane Katrina. As a secondary social studies education major it is important to look at the past of the United States. This can range from the 1700's to as early as an event that happen yesterday. Hurricane Katrina is a great topic to discuss with High School students because some students may have friends, family, or peers that have memories of Katrina or it repercussions. 

 


What I know already, is that Hurricane Katrina was one of the most devastating hurricane's to ever make it to mainland United States. Thousands and thousands of people were killed or injured in the hurricane. Many more than that were displaced from their homes, and countless cities were destroyed or heavily damaged from the storm. 

What I am wondering is exactly how long did it take to fully restore these cities? I know that it must have taken years but what is the true timeline of recovery events. These wonders go hand in hand with what I want to learn more about. I want to learn what the budget was like to rebuild the south. How much did the United States government cover? Did states unaffected by the hurricane help out. Most of all I want to learn how the south rebuilt to prepare for a hurricane like this in the future. 

Hurricane Katrina is one of the most talked about and detrimental natural disasters in history. I want to know all the ins and outs of this events and how the United States would handle an event like this in the modern day.   



Comments

  1. Hello Zack,
    I love that you are focusing your topic on Hurricane Katrina. Growing up, I always used to see on the news how Hurricane Katrina destroyed so many homes. It was devastating seeing it as a child. I never understood why it happened! Even as an adult, I still do not understand why hurricanes happen is some areas more than others. I want to learn about how the homes that were destroyed got fixed and what families did when they were not living in their homes. I can not wait to learn more about your topic!
    Thanks,
    Shuorook Jaber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zach,
    I really like the topic of your discussion as this was a major event in our history that impacted the lives of many people. I like how you are focusing on the government aspect by wondering how much they contributed and how this would look in the future. Even from a geography sense you could talk a lot about hurricanes, why they happen, and certain locations where they do happened. One thing I think you should highlight more is the discussion about what happened to the people that lived here? How did they survive after? Where did they go? When teaching this to students, it would be awesome to bring in some primary sources from people during this time and/or news stories! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zack,
    I remember this hurricane hitting and it was mostly devastating to New Orleans and there are still parts of New Orleans that have no been rebuilt and those parts have not been repopulated. (I watch a lot of the show "Pitbulls and Parolees" and they constantly talk about Katrina damage). On one episode, they had rescued a dog from a school and they were allowed to go and walk around the school once the water was out to see the damage and some damage is unrepairable. I also remember the National Guard being sent in to help.
    ~Krystine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zack,
    This is an interesting topic and hopefully something the students can connect with. If this was begin taught right now it would be interesting to follow the hurricane that is hitting Florida right now with the students such as having updates everyday before beginning class. I do not know a lot about hurricane Katrina so I am excited to learn more from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zack
    To be honest, I don't know anything about Hurricane Katrina. Because I moved to the United States to live in 2015, and I am not a person who likes watching news. I didn't know about Hurricane Katrina until I read your blog today. So I look forward to your next blog to see more information about Hurricane Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zack,
    I think its really cool that you picked hurricane Katrina, I feel like its a topic that doesn't get brought up too much anymore since Wisconsin is in the north. I personally don't know much about hurricane Katrina other than the basics, so i'm looking forward to getting to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zach, this topic has so many yummy cross-curricular connections that can be made. It can also be a timely topic when connected to the many current hurricanes that keep devastating communities. It would be an interesting comparison to look at the responses to Hurricane Ian vs Hurricane Katrina. Although they occurred 17 years apart they say much about our nation. I look forward to seeing what texts you gather for your text set (blog post #3) for students to read/view.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Text Set (Blog Post 3)