Visualization Project (Blog Post 4) (Please use the link below to access my infographic)

 Hello everyone,

The link to my Hurricane Katrina infographic is below. Enjoy!

https://infograph.venngage.com/ps/KaF8KQCEprk/hurricane-katrina-infographic 




Reflection:

The visualization project was a unique way to present even more information about my semester-long topic of Hurricane Katrina. I chose to do an infographic that included a timeline of events, video links to show the true destruction of the Hurricane, and many different small pictures to highlight what the student would be looking at. The pictures that I chose to use steamed from what each point of the timeline would be hitting on. This was an effective tool because when students think back about the aid needed, they may associate the first aid photo on the timeline and second page. This goes for all other visuals that I chose to use. I chose to do an infographic because not only did it allow me to add all of these pictures but it also allowed me to organize information in a timeline format. The timeline format was something that I wanted to use because Katrina had effects that lasted for years. The infographic also allows for students to be able to quickly get key points of the topic with having to read a novel. Anyone looking at the infographic can quickly get a sense of the damage and cost of the hurricane. The use of an infographic also allowed me to deepen my knowledge of the topic. If I were to just write a paper I may have never truly experienced the captivating images that are in the video I linked in or understand how quickly this storm destroyed a large portion of our country. If I am being completely honest, this was the first infographic I have ever created. Creating it has helped me realize that visualization tools and tactics must be involved in education. The infographic allowed for me to not only organize information in ways that I wanted to, but it will also be something that sticks with students longer. When students come in and have another powerpoint, textbook reading, or lecture they may disengage before the class even starts. If they were to walk into an infographic such as this one on their desk, they may have a different attitude towards the day. They may enjoy going through the timeline, video links, and still getting the big picture of what the damages of Hurricane Katrina were. I wish that throughout my time in high school and college that teachers would have utilized visualization tools such as infographics and interactive timelines much more. Going forward and entering my field of secondary education with a social studies emphasis, I want to use visualization tools such as this infographic on a regular basis. Rather than always assign students a unit paper, or powerpoint project, I want to be able to challenge students to create projects such as infographics. This will not only keep my students using different tools to learn, but also expose them to different types of learning. They will be exposed to videos, pictures, and many other forms of visual aids you may use to complete an infographic. It is safe to say that this project has given me a new tool to use in my future classroom.

Comments

  1. Your visualization project incorporates a timeline, videos, all into an infographic. I love how you used this digital platform and made it your own. Seeing the storm path visual helped me see your timeline more clearly. You added a visual component to a visual presentation which I really enjoyed. This is a great resource for students. As a citation hopper myself, I would love this work as a student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack,
    The infographic you chose shows a lot of visualization, which allows the kids to put a picture or video to a disaster. My question would be when would you show the infographic to the students? Would this be toward the beginning of the unit to give the students background on where you are going, or would this be used at the end of the unit?
    ~Krystine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zack!
    You are one of the first people that did your visualization project as a timeline, and I love the outcome! Seeing the timeline with the dates helps me visualize the order of how the events happened. I also like how you included videos along with your time line. This can help students see how Hurricane Katrina damaged many things. I think students will love viewing this and can help build on their understanding on Hurricane Katrina in a fun way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zack
    I like the information chart you made. You put the video and timeline together. I think the timeline can help students understand what happens in each period of development. When you are in class, will you play the video first? Or will students read the timeline first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zack,
    I think using a timeline is a great way to show your topic! The timeline and infographic you completed on the second page is very easy to follow. Including videos is a great way to show students the amount of damage that occurred. Hurricane Katrina is a topic that can be shown just through images and videos! Overall, I really think students would learn well with seeing a visual timeline and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zack,
    I really liked that you also included videos on your infographic. This wasn't something I even thought about, but I thought it was a really awesome idea especially incase the reader wants to know more information on the topic. I also really liked that you included a stats/facts page on your infographic instead of just doing a timeline. I thought this was a really good idea because it really made the topic more powerful and resonate with the reader more. Like the fact that 15+ years later New Orleans still hasn't reached pre hurricane levels. Thanks for sharing it was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zack,
    I really liked your choice of a timeline visualization because it directly shows how Hurricane Katrina hit and who was impacted. Students who have never experienced a hurricane before or are unlikely of how impactful it is would benefit from this visualization so they can see the real life impacts. I also really enjoyed your visual of the map the hurricane took. I think it would be interesting if there was a map key to show what each of the colors meant as the hurricane grew stronger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where I am, Where I Want to Go!

Introduction

Text Set (Blog Post 3)